Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heros

(img. http://militarymotivator.blogspot.com/ )
"We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."- Will Rogers

While getting caught up on my reading it occurred to me, in all of this celebration recently (July 4, Heller vs. DC, The Freedom March) one very important aspect of American life has received very little attention from me, the American Soldier. Right now many of our fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters are fighting and some dying in over 140 countries across the globe. No matter what your thoughts are on any of the current “occupations, wars, conflicts, or security measures” remember, THEY are the ones in the front. They are the ones giving all so we sit can on our cans, have our Starbucks, shitty traffic and our Blogs, saying what we want when we want. Since any time in my memory the American Soldier has been a faceless, colorless hero in my eyes. I have fond memories of veterans, some disabled, some not, some old, and some young. I remember as a child that family friends who were veterans seemed to stand a little taller, and approach life with a more direct certainty. I know now that my forms of “hero worship” lead to the haloesque glow of these people, but even as an adult, I still hold the American Soldier in a special place. Because I was remiss in including you in recent writings let me say “thank you” to every Sailor, Soldier, Airman, and Marine from the American Revolution through today and beyond.

Gratia,
Jason

No comments: