Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Math of American Death During Revolution

"I confront thou shall not kill each time I aim and pull that trigger and fight for our freedom."
From the movie Shooter
As usually happens when I am not working I spend time shooting/cleaning, watching a movie or three, doing some light reading and finish up with some sort of impromptu lesson for the kids. I am a firm believer in "Peace Through Superior Firepower," sadly from my side of the fence so does my government. By attempting civilian disarmament they are inviting bloodshed. I do not believe it is their goal, yet it will be another unintended consequence. I hope and often look for ways to prove I am wrong, but that is sometimes a chore. As Americans we have a history of both resistance to tyranny, and deadly proficiency when we put our minds to something. Only twice before have we as a people directed that proficiency at ourselves, and the can help us to hypothesize future results.
The first time we won our independence from King Georges rule. That cost an estimated 50,000 plus lives directly and approximately twice that in indirect casualties.(My numbers from sites like this) There was an estimated 2,418,000 population in the American colonies in 1775. That is a casualty rate of just over 2% of the population.
When we went "brother vs brother" in the War Between the States that number skyrocketed to over 500,000 direct deaths.(My numbers again from sites like this) I could not find even an estimate of the indirect casualties. Estimated population of both Republics was a combined 31,000,000. 1.6% of Americans died in those 4 years.
Using these historical events as a benchmark and today's US population at an estimated 305,000,000 persons, 1.8% direct deaths..... that is just under 5.5 million people dead. Add to that the cost of "collateral damage" and we are looking at a very bloody country. I am not even looking at the actual money, psychological, or logistical problems that would result. The stand off is building, 5,500,000 will lay dead. What have you done to prepare?
Jason
III

No comments: