Saturday, August 16, 2008

Honor


When someone said, "Leonidas, are you here to take such a hazardous risk with so few men against so many?" he said, "If you men think that I rely on numbers, then all Greece is not sufficient, for it is but a small fraction of their numbers; but if on men's valour, then this number will do." Apophthegmata Laconica by Plutarch

Lycurgus established harmony, simplicity, and strength in Sparta. This warrior society tamed its youth through systematic education aimed at developing leadership, courage, public spirit, and wisdom. LYKURGUS by Plutarch

The Seven Virtues of the Bushido apply to handle every action of every day, follow them and you will live a good life.
  • The right decision, fair and equal
  • Valour & Courage
  • Benevolence, Compassion & Generosity
  • The Proper Behaviour, Courtesy & Respect
  • Honesty, Honourable & Moral
  • Success, Honour and Glory
  • Devotion and Loyalty

The legend of Arthur's Knights of the Round Table had a similar code

  • To never do outrage nor murder
  • Always to flee treason
  • To by no means be cruel but to give mercy unto him who asks for mercy
  • To always do ladies, gentlewomen and widows succor
  • To never force ladies, gentlewomen or widows
  • Not to take up battles in wrongful quarrels for love or worldly goods

Politics, policy, laws and religion have no hold without honor. Honor is the one gift you can give yourself that makes a difference in the world you occupy. If I have one wish for my life it is that those who know me at the time of my passing can say I lived a life of honor, and that it sums up my achievement of the above examples. Many people today speak of honor, sacrifice and liberty as more of a cliche than a way of life. I was speaking with the Reverend the other day and he made a phenomenal point "I believe in principles, not borders." Short, to the point, and exactly what I needed to hear at that time. For too many years I have fought with the parallels and contrasts of my core beliefs and their lineage with my nationalism. I believe in America with every cell in my body, I also believe that the America I love has been raped by politicians and a complacent lazy citizenry. If knowledge is power than what are ideals? What small amount of power I possess, is in the knowledge of honor. I pass it on to my sons, with hopes that they will understand why, I post it here with hopes that those who read it will truly understand, every breath of everyday their actions change the course of life. If we live and lead with honor it can become "the way."


A man argued that Sparta should set up a democracy, this was Lykurgus reply: "Begin with your own family."


Jason

III

No comments: