****** Area *** **** Journal
I really wish this would have been presented in time for me to at least respond to some of your concerns. I am a local resident trying to start a business and provide a service for the community in which I live, nothing more. Without advertising that will be an even tougher accomplishment. I would like to cover a few things upfront:
- I chose a business name that was not hiding the products I sell
- I am approved and licensed by the County, State and Federal Governments to sell and transfer firearms. This is an official “business” not a hobby or personal collection, and is regulated as such with full over sight and approval of the BATFE, and PCSO.
- I rely as much on the First Amendment as you do to make my livelihood. I do that by promoting the Second.
- I fully comply with all regulations and laws in the transactions; I even made sure that was noted on the proposed add.
- “Many newspapers do not advertise for guns”- This is in reference to “classified ads” whose private sales are regulated by very different laws from city to city and state to state. Most newspapers I know of regularly take ads from “Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, and Big 5 Sporting Goods.” All which advertise sell and market firearms and shooting supplies.
- I feel very disappointed that I have lost an entire month of available advertising without any previous indication of a minuet problem in the past 2 plus weeks we have been discussing this.
Please keep me informed of any changes positive or negative to my current issue so I can at least try to consider my options.
I chose to leave the paper unnamed for now, giving them the chance to respond. I find this EXTREMELY poor taste for a "local" paper that relies on local businesses to shun me because I sell firearms. I live in a rural suburban area, complete with ranchers, cowboys and your average gun nut like myself. What really chaps me is that the was NO "concern" listed and no discussion over content of the add. I will post any replies that have have new information.