Monday, November 17, 2008

Give Me Liberty, or Give Me...Just Give Me Liberty

"The basic axiom of libertarian political theory holds that every man is a self owner, having absolute jurisdiction over his own body. In effect, this means that no one else may justly invade, or aggress against, another's person. " Buried in Here
I have covered what "I Believe", now I will try to explain some of why.
I am a "student" of history, maybe a "fan" would be a better term. Growing up I watched the sacrifice of a single mother and felt the sting of an absentee father, watched the "growth"of the 80's, and the progression of modern politics. Nixon was President the day I was born. Soon to follow were Ford, Carter, Reagan, H.W. Bush, Clinton, W. Bush, and now Obama. I loved education, it was breath to my mind. History and mathematics were the subjects I looked forward to the most. This put me on a path to meet many great teachers, in particular "history" teachers. I wanted to become a teacher, until I "worked" in a school. I saw first hand the bias and absurdity that can be fostered in the public school system. It was at that point I started aggressive "self-education." There have been many lessons learned the hard way, and many learned the wrong way. Here in my mid thirties I have found that breath again. Striving to learn about how history applies to today. As I discover and attempt to understand the writings of Mises (Rothbard in particular), the Cato Institute, more books these past 24 months then I care to write, conversations with friends, blogging from:
-D. Martyn
-D Codrea
-C Horton
-M. Vanderboegh
-And Many More (Dailies listed on blogroll)
I feel that breath building in me again. For that I say thank you all who read this, and all who write so I can read. That breath is giving me a vigor to educate my children, and having this support for that is indispensable. Seeing the equation of liberty for the individual, equaling success for the community. I am finding my way again, and in what I believe is a positive manner. Our world is constantly changing, and I know "we can never go back." However we can move forward, and remain true to parts of the past we admire, improving the areas we do not. As we look to "the coming" storm (?) look to your friends, build a network. Start building a "community" and the bigger picture should start to develop. I personally feel that all laws I have not expressly agreed to do not apply to me, save the "golden rule." I will choose day by day what to follow, and what to ignore. But will always believe what I believe.
pro libertate eos occubuisse,
Jason
III

3 comments:

ReverendFranz said...

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Unjust laws have to be fought ideologically; they cannot be fought or corrected by means of mere disobedience and futile martyrdom."
- Ayn Rand

Liberty has never come from government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of government. The history of liberty is the history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson

Carry On.

Armed US Citizen said...

I could not agree with this post any more than I do. Consider me a part of your network as I read your blog and those you link to.

There are more of us out there than we realize. Or even they realize for that matter. So many just need to be educated correctly. There is a great injustice in our schools today and when I was growing up. We do not teach OUR history. When we get back to that, there is hope. My children attend a school founded on the founders doctrines and they are learning now, what I had to discover on my own.

This IS still the greatest country ever and WE will do what it takes to keep it that way.

Great post!

Jay21 said...

Thanks for the comments. It has been reassuring on this "journey" to realize I am not a "lone" nutjob. Just a guy among many who believes in LIBERTY.